Media crackdown: Elie Smith opens up on how and why he was sacked from Canal 2

International journalist of fine repute who has uncovered and covered many grounds breaking news event the world beyond has in an interview with this reporter revealed that his contract at Canal 2 TV was abruptly terminated because the regime considered him as "dangerous" before a rolling camera.
The journalist whose professional backing is similar to none in Cameroon told this reporter in Buea that his sacking was not unconnected to the Minister of Justice, Laurent Esso and the Premier, Philemon Yang.
Elie Smith at his former job

According to him, the Yaounde authorities who considered him as too vocal ordered the Director General of Canal 2 TV, Emmanuel Chatue, to terminate his contract. He together with some colleague where first landed a two weeks suspension and their programs including "Tough Talk" among others got suspended.

It is reported that when his Director appeared before Philemon Yang and Laurent Esso in mid-August, he underwent serious scrutiny and interrogation and was warned to either let go the venerated journalist and suspend the program "Tough Talk" which was pivotal in reporting the Anglophone struggle or get ready to for what they had in store for him.

"My employers convene a meeting on August 29 and told us that he had gone through a lot because of us and me in particular. He then asked my colleagues and I go to apologize to the Prime Minister as soon as possible and when I failed to apologize since I knew I had done no wrong, I was sacked from Canal 2." He said.

The very critical, outspoken and free-minded Elie Smith who has a wealth of experience and is internationally acclaimed after working for channels such as Bloomberg BNA, 3A Telesud,  LC 2 International and  MNCOM, stated that he will not be deterred but will remain an objective journalist whose duty is to tell it as it is.
"The Price to pay when you're a journalist in a dictatorial regime( Cameroon & Congo Brazzaville, no difference) as three years ago I was expelled from Congo Brazzaville by the Congolese government ten days before, General Jean François Ndenguet ordered his Policemen to ransack my home and gang rape my younger sister. My only crime was doing my job professionally and fearlessly as a journalist. I have no regrets for having discharged my duty in Congo Brazzaville by helping to expose the kleptocracy of Denis Sassou Nguesso". He posted on his Facebook page adding that,

"I am lucky to be alive, for my colleagues Bruno Ossibi, Joseph Ngouala, Ghislain Ongouya were brutally murdered by Denis Sassou Nguesso. Meanwhile, Sadio Morel-kante are Congolese journalist was expelled from her country, Christian Perrin is in exile in South Africa, Ghys Fortune Dombe Bemba, publisher of Talassa is in jail, Guy Milex Mbondzi , publisher of La Voix du Peuple is on the run.

Cameroonian journalists working for pseudo-private media can't talk or investigate on corruption, Boko Haram and on the Anglophone crisis. If you are outspoken or speak objectively about the Anglophone crisis you are shown the door. Persecution of journalists is on in Cameroon and the CEMAC region but all this does not shrink me down as my determination surpasses all this."
Quizzed on what he plans to do next, Elie Smith, told this reporter that for the time being, he currently corresponds for the highly acclaimed Thomson Reuters Foundation while other options were on the table. 

Comments